Friday, April 11, 2008

Get it Organized!

I almost laugh at the title of this post. You know why? I am a mom of three busy children in a home that most days seems about to burst forth from its seams. You know... the stuff you accumulate! Like most moms who decide to tackle their kids closets to organize the toys or to clean out the clothes that have gotten way too small, you get it looking great, BUT...! Yes, you know what I mean! Disaster strikes....again, in the form of your wonderful children. I could share lots of organizational tips on cleaning out the closet, the toys, etc. except around our house that type of organization lasts for almost 30 seconds. Even before I step out of the room there they go diving into the closet, again! Oh, well.

Anyway, I thought I would share with those who have found me by way of Lysa Terkeurst's blog (visit the link through the title above or through the button tab below) about organizing something that doesn't deal entirely with the kids. (Well, almost!) What is it? My pantry! This bit of organization came about last year by way of some pesky little creatures called ANTS!

While we were away from our house for a few days in 2007 a hungry Army of Ants decided that it would be awesome to have a dandy picnic in my pantry! Imagine my horror when we got back to find ANTS in our cereal boxes, cookies, snacks, and even in Ziploc bags still wrapped Easter candy! I was "enraged" enough to battle those determined little creatures that had invaded my territory and seized my family's food! Needless to say we got rid of them! One Battle won!

But....

What could I do to keep those determined creatures from finding an "unguarded"way back into my house to come back for a second invasion? I went to Wally world! I commandeered a few plastic see-thru storage boxes in various sizes and I went to work. Those ants were not going to get back in my cereal boxes, cookies, snacks, and ziploc bags of candy! Not my chocolate! Oops, the kids chocolate!

So this is what I did: I placed my cereal boxes in the larger sweather box, and then I divided the remaining boxes into categories. I labeled each "air tight" storage box with a waterproof pen according to the contents inside. Not only do I have an orderly pantry shelf with our food protected from the invading Ants, but now everything has its place. It has actually cut down on the number of boxes of prepackaged snack food items, and the clutter (for the most part). Plus the kids know where to find what they love to eat for an afternoon snack!

I did learn a thing or two from the ants. I will have to share my Ant article with you another day, but it has to do with their sense of teamwork and determination to reach their goals no matter the obstacles. Come back and visit with me often. I would love for you to!

(Even though I started organizing my pantry I did stop at the snack foods. If you have some additional ideas for how I could further organize my pantry that would be great...I do need some additional help with it. I do tend to buy items that I already have one or two of in the pantry when I don't need them. With food cost rising I need to get it streamlined to cut my shopping costs down. My 6 yr old son eats like crazy and any little tips you can give would help me from overbuying plus save some cash.)

Latanya

[Swap+and+Hop+Logo+Button.gif]

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Good tips. My favorite thing to find in my pantry are empty snack food boxes! Happens all the time here.

Janet said...

I am sure you already do this but I have found that clipping coupons and then watching the sale papers helps a great deal. for example, CVS had 3 bars of irish spring soap on sale for 99 cents I had a coupon for 30 cents off so I got 3 bars of soap for 69 cents when normally I think it would have cost about $2. Use the sales and coupons to your advantage - I love getting something for nothing! and at cvs you rack up the bonus bucks that you use (as cash) at your next visit can't beat that! Good luck in cutting your costs and finishing the pantry organization!

Janet

Melissa said...

I re-organized my pantry in January. I've posted a photo of it in an entry titled "Better Late than Never" which you can find in my blog archives for February 2008.

I use plastic baskets, and group like things together. I've labeled each basket so that it's easy to spot what I have. The good thing about the baskets is that I have to take them down to get something...and therefore I'm always seeing what I have. Nothing gets pushed to the back.

Hope you find something that works for you.